International Student FAQ

Curious about studying in the U.S. as an international student? Here is a list of popular questions and answers.

Frequently Asked Questions

Both colleges and universities in the U.S. offer studies students undertake after completing secondary school. Colleges offer four-year degrees just as universities do. Community colleges in the U.S. typically offer two year Associate degrees only.

The study of liberal arts dates back to the fifth century, when a philosopher defined the seven liberal arts as grammar, dialectic, rhetoric, geometry, arithmetic, astronomy, and music. The philosophy is to educate the student broadly and well. Flagler College offers a liberal arts core, but many of our programs are designed for a specific work-related outcome like Business, Communications, Education, etc.

Students can use the application on Flagler College’s website, or the Common Application. The Common Application is used by over 500 colleges and universities that evaluate applications holistically; that is, the admissions staff take into consideration things like letters of recommendation and the application essay.

We will accept scanned and emailed copies of your test score reports from you whether they be SAT, ACT, TOEFL, or others.” To “We will accept scanned and emailed copies of the following test score reports:  SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, CAPE, GCSE, or CXC exams. If you take the Duolingo English test, this must be sent officially through our shared Duolingo Portal.

At Flagler College, there is no additional process to apply for merit-based scholarships. If you are admitted to the College, you will automatically be considered for any available merit-based aid. Please note that Merit-based aid, and athletic aid are all that is available to International Students. If you hope to earn an athletic scholarship, you must contact the coach in the desired sport.

The SAT and ACT are not required for admission for students living inside the U.S. and graduating from a brick-and-mortar secondary school. However, all applicants from other countries must demonstrate proficiency in the English language regardless of whether their first language is English or another language. This can be accomplished by submitting any one of the following – SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English Test or passing scores in English on the GCE, GCSE, IGCSE, BGCSE, CSEC, CXC, CAPE or IB examinations. Official scores must be submitted with the application for admission. U.S. citizens living outside the U.S. are held to this same requirement.

It is recommended you take and receive the results for any required standardized tests well before the deadline. Your file is not considered complete and will not be evaluated until the standardized test results are received. You may sit these exams more than once to improve your scores.

If you, an international student, are attending a private college or university like Flagler College, your costs are the same as a U.S. citizen. The only additional cost to you is that you will be required to enroll in the school’s health insurance policy to protect you while living within the U.S.


Reach out to our admissions office with any questions you have about applying to Flagler. 1-800-304-4208 | 904-819-6220 | WhatsApp +1.904-357-9434 or email us at