Dressing appropriate for all professional situations is important. Whether you are going to an interview, attending a Career Expo, or networking at an event, you want to make a good first impression with your appearance. Here are some tips for different professional situations. If you aren’t sure, always lean on the side of Business Professional.
- Wear a conservative dark-colored, two-piece matching business suit; long pants/knee-length skirt
- A pressed, lighter-colored professional button-down shirt/blouse under the jacket
- If you choose to wear a tie, the pattern should be conservative and end at mid-belt
- Shoe choices: Polished loafers or closed-toe/low heel pumps
- If appropriate, wear calf-length socks to match your suit or neutral pantyhose
- Leather belts should match the color of your shoes
- No visible tattoos or piercings
- Keep jewelry conservative and minimal
- Hair should be away from your face and neatly cut and styled, including facial hair
- Wear natural-looking makeup - lip color/nail polish should not be too trendy or bright
- Nails should be clean and manicured
- Perfume/cologne should be avoided
- Bring a padfolio, briefcase, or business bag
Business Casual depends on the environment, but usually means “not a suit.” Here are some differences from dressing professionally. Remember: it is always better to be dressed-up than dressed-down.
- Along with long pants/knee-length skirts, crop or khaki pants are acceptable
- Knit sweaters, cardigans and sport coats are appropriate
- More casual loafers and flats are acceptable. Athletic shoes are inappropriate.
- Keep hair and makeup simple and natural
- Wear black or khaki pants, neatly pressed, and a pressed long-sleeved button-down shirt
- Ties are generally not necessary for business casual, but if in doubt, you can wear a tie
- More trendy fashion decisions are generally acceptable
The Career Closet is a resource that launched in Spring 2019 for all Flagler College students. Are you in need of the right professional outfit? Do you have an interview or event with nothing to wear? We can help! The Career Closet is located on the second floor of our office and is filled with gently-used clothes, ranging from suits, dresses, skirts, pants, shirts, blouses, cardigans, jackets, and ties.
What to Know:
- You may select up to 1 outfit maximum per semester, which is yours to keep
- To select your items, make an appointment with the Career Development Center
- Upon arrival, you may browse options, try on clothes, and seek advice from our staff members
- All items are meant to be kept and should not be returned
- We do not offer any professional dress shoes
- This opportunity is only available to currently enrolled students
We are not responsible for the condition or availability of clothes, as it is an entirely donation-based process. The clothes have not been washed or dry-cleaned beforehand. Clothes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We cannot hold or reserve clothes for students. The Career Closet is only open during normal Career Development Center operation hours and days.
Back To Top
To make a career counseling appointment or for additional assistance in our services:
|Monday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Wednesday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Thursday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Friday||8:00am - 5:00pm|