Graduate School Exams
GRE and Other Graduate School Exams
What is the GRE?
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a test that measures skills considered essential to graduate school success and is a valid predictor of grad school performance.
Look out for GRE Prep workshops during the semester!
Measures critical thinking and analytical writing skills, specifically your ability to articulate and support complex ideas clearly and effectively.
- Scoring: 0-6
- Scored by computer + reader
- You will not be held accountable for "factual" knowledge
- Can you write a well thought out essay while answering the prompt?
- No spell check/grammar check
- There is no "right answer"
- Prepare an outline to keep your thoughts in order
- Try to write on the opposite side. You'll be more analytical and less passionate/personal.
- Write clearly, explain key points and omit humor.
- Read newspapers and magazine articles (Wall Street Journal, TIME, The Economist, etc.)
Measures your ability to analyze and evaluate written material and synthesize information obtained from it, analyze relationships among component parts of sentences and recognize relationships among words and concepts.
Reading Comprehension Sets
- Quick scan the questions so you know what you're looking for
- Do NOT apply outside knowledge
- Answer the question, don't select an answer because it's a true statement
Text Completion Questions
- Try to fill the blanks with their own words and find answer choices that match
- One is usually very easy; answer that one first
Sentence Equivalence Questions
- It IS possible to pick more than the allotted amount of answers
- The two correct choices do not always have the same meaning
- Focus on understanding what the sentence means
Measures problem-solving ability, focusing on basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and data analysis.
- Multiple choice w/ 1 answer
- Multiple choice w/multiple answers
- Quantitative Comparison
- Numeric Entry
- Data interpretation
- Simplify problems when possible
- Plug in numbers
- Always enter the exact answer unless asked to do something else
- Remember to change calculations (.33333 = 33%)
- The calculator respects order of operations (MDAS)
- Use Math Review
Graduate School Exam Resources
Flagler College is now offering SAT, GRE, GMAT, and LSAT test preparation through our Adult and Continuing Education Program.