The Mitchell Scholarship recognizes outstanding young Americans who exhibit the highest standards of academic excellence, leadership and community service
The Mitchell Scholarship program links future American leaders to the island of Ireland by a year of graduate study at a university in Ireland or Northern Ireland.
- Up to 12 Mitchell Scholars are chosen each year.
- The Mitchell Scholarship Program supports one year of graduate study in any discipline offered by an institution of higher learning in Ireland or Northern Ireland. Provides:
- Cash stipend for living expenses
- An international travel stipend
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be 18 years of age or older, but not yet 30, on September 28 of the year of the application (those who turn 30 on September 29th are not eligible).
- Must have obtained a bachelor’s degree before the start of scholarship.
Qualifications for competitive application
- Academic achievement
- Leadership potential
- Community service. (Membership or participation in a long resume of extracurricular activities is less convincing than demonstrating a significant, tangible impact in the candidate's community or school.)
- All three areas are important. Some applicants have impressive academic credentials but lack a credible record of accomplishment in leadership and service. Academic excellence, leadership and community service are equally important criteria.
- Reason and purpose for pursuing study in Ireland. Demonstrate why a specific program is a good fit.
- Campus Deadline: September 15th
- National Deadline: September 28th