JET – Japanese English Teaching Fellowship
JET provides the opportunity to live and work in cities, towns, and villages throughout Japan. Being a part of JET is an opportunity to work and to represent the United States as cultural ambassadors to Japan.
Most JET fellows serve as teaching assistants in school systems throughout Japan. Ranging from kindergarten up to senior high school. Integration into a community, and international exchange are the primary goals of the JET program.
- 1,000-1,100 fellowships are awarded each year. The applicant pool is over 4,000 each year.
- A salary each year you serve, starting at 30,000 USD.
- Transportation to and from Japan.
- Visa arrangements
- Assistance in housing arrangements
- Healthcare/medical benefits
- Must hold bachelor’s degree by date of departure.
- Be a U.S. Citizen
Qualifications for a competitive application
- Demonstrate a willingness to deepen your knowledge and appreciation of Japan
- Give examples of ways to participate in and initiate international exchange activities in the local community
- Make an effort to study or continue studying the Japanese language prior to and after arriving in Japan.
- Demonstrate an ability to be adaptable, and a willingness to be uncomfortable in a new place.
- Express an interest in international education and exchange.
- Campus Deadline: Late October
- National Deadline: Early November