Research, Professional and Creative Activity
- Member, Florida House of Representatives (1992-1996)
- Mayor, City of St. Augustine (1990-1992)
- City Commissioner, City of St. Augustine (1988-1992)
- Trustee and former Chairman, Flagler Healthcare Systems, Inc.
- Director, St. Augustine Rotary Club
- Trustee, Lightner Museum
- Member, Historic St. Augustine Research Institute (appointed by President of University of Florida)
- Honorary Co-Chairman and Capital Campaign Committee Member-construction of The Bailey Center (inpatient hospice facility of Community Hospice)
- Trustee, The St. Augustine Historical Society
- Board of Directors, St. Augustine and St. Johns County Chamber of Commerce (1990)
- Florida Trend Magazine “Legal Elite” (top 2% of attorneys in Florida) 2004 and 2005
- Member of The Florida Bar
- Trustee, University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (current)
- Director, Prosperity Bank
Having spent 25 years as a practicing attorney, served as a former Florida state representative and as a former mayor of the City of St. Augustine, Professor Upchurch possesses an impressive practical knowledge and experience in the law that he actively uses in his classes, which include constitutional law, legal history, and supervising the law program’s capstone Senior Seminar in the Law. Upchurch also holds an MA in American History from the University of North Florida and teaches American history courses at Flagler. His research focuses on the American Civil War and in particular Southern Unionists in Florida.
Currently, Upchurch serves as chair of the Faculty Senate and as an advisor of Omicron Delta Kappa, the college’s leadership organization. He is also the Director of the Law Program and serves as a First Year Advisor for incoming freshmen, whom he aids in transitioning successfully to college.
His continuing contribution to Flagler’s academic excellence and the success of his students marks him as among Flagler’s finest professors, for which he was honored with the Flagler College Dean’s Award for Outstanding Teaching in 2009. He was also voted the Faculty Member of the Year by the student body in 2015.
Teaching and Related Service
- Legal Environment of Business
- Advanced Business Law
- State and Local Government
- Constitutional Issues in the Workplace
Flagler College Dean’s Award for Outstanding Teaching, 2009
Gargoyle Student Newspaper Advisory Board
- Monday: 10:00AM - 12:00PM
- Tuesday: 12:00PM - 1:00PM
- Wednesday: 10:00AM - 12:00PM
- Thursday: 12:00PM - 1:00PM
- Friday: 10:00AM - 12:00PM