Research, Professional and Creative Activity
- Graphic designer and creative director with experience developing interactive web applications, corporate identities, brand strategies, advertising campaigns, and a variety of marketing collateral.
- Winner of numerous Gold and Silver ADDY awards presented by the American Advertising Federation’s CAMP chapter in Coastal Carolina.
- Recipient of a 2008 Silver Sir Walter Raleigh Award presented by the PRSA.
- Member of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA).
- Served on the School of Creative Arts’ Executive Committee at James Cook University, Townsville, QLD, Australia.
- Ph.D. topic: “Service-learning in design education”
- Other research topics include: empathy in design thinking, design for the aging population, visualizations that simplify complexity, human-centered design research methods
Dr. Stephenson earned a Ph.D. in Creative Arts (Media Design) from James Cook University, M.Des. in Communication Planning and Information Design from Carnegie Mellon University and B.A. in Communication Arts from Georgetown College. Her professional portfolio includes work from a diverse clientele, ranging from small start-ups to international brands and a variety of Australian organizations, like Suncorp, The Eye Foundation, Defence Community Organisation, and Runge.
Teaching and Related Service
- ART 204: Image Studio
- ART 228: Design Methodologies
- ART 229: Branding
- ART 335: Web Design
- ART 340: Motion Graphics
- ART 435: Interactive Design
- ART 495: Design Portfolio
Previously taught at:
- James Cook University
- University of North Carolina Wilmington
- High Point University
Office Hours (Virtual):
- Friday: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM