Research, Professional and Creative Activity
Published Critical Books
Eloquent Design: Essays on the Rhetorics of Vision, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Great Britain, 2015
Published Critical Articles
- "Personal Disclosure and Public Discourse in Creative Nonfiction," book chapter in Compelling Confessions: The Political of Personal Disclosure.
- "What Students Know about Learning in Real and Virtual Worlds," article in Professional Students Review.
- "Susan Sontag and Dian Arbus: The Siamese Twins of Photographic Art," article in Women's Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal.
- "The Local Citizen in the Global Village: Picturing the World," book chapter in Battleground States: Scholarship in Contemporary America.
- "Balancing Thought and Expression: A Short Course in Style," book chapter in Refiguring Prose Style: Possibilities for Writing Pedagogy.
- "Re-Tooling the Enthymeme for the Modern Writing Student," award-wining article in CCTE Studies.
Published Creative Work
- “Blue Rider.” Hippocampus Creative Nonfiction Journal
- "One Fuji, Two Hawks, Three Eggplants." Boundaries.
- “Going up Home” English Association of Pennsylvania State Universities
- "Susan Sontag and Diane Arbus: The Siamese Twins of Photographic Art." South Atlantic Modern Language Association, 2010.
- "Globalizing Images: Negotiating Local and Global Perspectives in Asset Maps." Conference on College Composition and Communication, 2008.
- "Virtual and Real Museums: Considering the Realism of Online Tours." Midwest Mordern Language Association, 2007.
- South Atlantic Modern Language Association
- International Visual Literacy Association
- Sigma Tau Delta
Professor Baird earned her Ph.D. in English from Texas Christian University, and her M.A. English as well as her B.A. in Philosophy from The University of Akron. She is a specialist in composition and rhetoric and has a special interest in the convergence of visual and verbal communication.
Faculty Sponsor, Sigma Tau Delta
Faculty Sponsor, Intervarsity
Teaching and Related Service
- Advanced Expository Writing
- Asian Women Writers
- Autobiographical Writing
- The Bible as Literature
- Creative Nonfiction
- Great Works of Western Literature
- Introduction to American Literature
- Introduction to World Literature
- Short Story Writing
Previously taught at:
- Purdue University North Central
- Texas Christian University
- Mount Union College
- University of Akron
Ph.D., English, Concentration in Rhetoric and Composition, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas
M.A., English, The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio (1998)
B.A., Philosophy, The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio (1983)
- Monday: By appointment
- Tuesday: 12:15PM - 2:00PM
- Wednesday: 12:30PM - 5:00PM
- Thursday: 12:15PM - 2:00PM
- Friday: By appointment