Research, Professional and Creative Activity
- Coordinator of the English Dept. monthly Open Mic
- Write 2 Publish Panel - Presenter
- Winner of The Poetry Box Chapbook Prize 2019, for Moroccan Holiday; publication expected Winter 2020
- Book Publications: The Breakdown Atlas & Other Poems (Big Table, 2011); Her Blood Runs Through Me (Howlin’ Wolf Press, 1996); Dance of the Fire Horse (Howlin’ Wolf Press, 1993).
- 2017 and 2019 Pushcart Prize nominations
- Recent publications in literary journals such as Connotation Press, Fourth & Sycamore, and Jersey Devil Press
- Flagler College Distinguished First Year Faculty Award; Ameson Advanced Educator Award (China); New Hampshire Governor’s Leadership Award
- The Modern Language Association
- AP College Board
- Poets & Writers
Prof. Tivey received her MFA in Poetry from Vermont College of Fine Arts, where she was the recipient of the Jack Myers Scholarship for Outstanding Poetry. She earned her BA in Poetry and Literature from Granite State College, and TEFL certification (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) from the TEFL Institute. She holds a Secondary English teaching certificate from the State of Massachusetts. Tivey has recently returned to the US after living in China for six years, where she taught AP English Literature in the American program at a Chinese high school. She has also taught English as a Second Language (ESL) in South America and Asia. Tivey is the author of four poetry chapbooks, most recently Moroccan Holiday, which was the winner of The Poetry Box Chapbook Prize 2019. A Pushcart Prize nominee, her work has appeared in Connotation Press, The Coachella Review, and Split Lip Magazine, among dozens of other web and print publications in the US and UK. She is currently at work on a full-length book of poems about her time in China, called Plum Rain.
Teaching and Related Service
- Introduction to Poetry Writing
- Introduction to Literature
- First Year Seminar
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.