Research, Professional and Creative Activity
- Often asked to speak to audiences of policymakers and public managers on the strategies for successfully meeting the challenges facing state and local government in the 21st century.
- Published a guide with Dr. Lawrence Martin for state and local officials on how to utilize contracting and public-private partnerships to best deliver public services and needed infrastructure
- Co-authored a college textbook providing best practices and lessons learned and examines case studies in the successful selection, design, implementation, and evaluation of P3s for transportation infrastructure.
Dr. Joe Saviak serves as the Assistant Director of the Public Administration Program at Flagler College.
He received his Bachelor of Arts Degree and Master of Arts Degree both in Political Science from the University of Florida. He earned his law degree from the Florida State University College of Law. He received his Master of Science Degree in Criminal Justice and his Ph.D. in Public Affairs from the University of Central Florida.
Dr. Saviak teaches a dozen different courses at Flagler College covering a wide range of subjects in public management and public policy. His students are public sector administrators and professionals who serve in fifty different local and state government agencies across the Northeast and Central Florida regions. In addition, a number of his students also work in the private and non-profit sectors.
Prior to teaching at Flagler College, he worked as a senior administrator in local government and brings a real world perspective to the classroom. Twice in his career, he served on senior management teams responsible for significantly improving the performance of agencies with over 1,000 employees and annual budgets in excess of $100 million.
He is often asked to speak to audiences of policymakers and public managers on the strategies for successfully meeting the challenges facing local government in the 21st century. He teaches the principles, strategies, and skills of effectively leading and managing change.
Over the years, Dr. Saviak has advised numerous elected officials and senior administrators on a diverse spectrum of managerial and public policy issues such as contracting, budgeting, securing federal and state funding, criminal justice policy, transportation systems, and establishing electronic information sharing networks.
Teaching and Related Service
- Management in the Public Sector
- Grant Writing and Administration
- Program Evaluation
- Fiscal Administration
- Administrative Law
- Public Sector Human Resources Management
- Emergency Management
- Introduction to the U.S. Health Care System
- Research Methods for Social Sciences
- Principles of Public Relations
- Public Policy
- Juvenile Delinquency