Research, Professional and Creative Activity
Hoffman, E. W. (Under Review). The Law, Marijuana, and Information Seeking. Florida
Hoffman, E. W. (Under Review). Health communication campaign rewind: Testing the effectiveness of anti-tobacco ads in Florida’s famed Truth campaign. Health Communication.
Jain, P., Hoffman, E. W., Beam, M., & Xu, S (2017). Effect of message format and vividness on attitude accessibility regarding sexually transmitted diseases. Health Communication, 32(11), 1376-1384. doi:10.1080/10410236.2016.1222561
Hoffman, E. W., Austin, E. W., Pinkleton, B., & Austin, B. (2017). The associations of alcohol social media use and message interpretation outcomes to problem drinking among college students. Health Communication, 32(7), 864-871. doi:10.1080/10410236.2016.1195677
Hoffman, E. W. (2016). Improving the future by looking to the past: An examination of Florida’s “truth” anti-smoking campaign. Florida Communication Journal, 44(1), 49-59.
Hoffman, E. W., Pinkleton, B., Austin, E. W., & Reyes-Velázquez, W. (2014). Exploring college students’ use of social media and digital alcohol marketing applications and their associations to alcohol-related behaviors. The Journal of American College Health, 62(5), 328-35. doi: 10.1080/07448481.2014.902837
Reyes, W. & Hoffman, E. W. (2011). Towards reducing diabetes pandemic: Perspectives of college students on type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Spectrum, 4(3), 161-168.
Potter, W. J., Pashupati, K., Pekurny, R. G., Hoffman, E. W., & Davis, K. (2002). Perceptions of television violence: A schema explanation. Media Psychology, 4(1), 27-50.
Hoffman, E. W. & Heald, G. R. (2000). Tobacco and alcohol advertisements in popular African-American and general audience magazines. Communication Research Reports, 17, 415-425.
Eric W. Hoffman is an associate professor of communication and director of Flagler College's Honors Program. He was twice named professor of the year, and has won other prestigious academic and industry awards. His scholarly activities include grant funded research in the area of health communication that has resulted in 18 conference presentations and 10 scholarly articles and reports. He regularly guests reviews for nine different journals and several conferences. His greatest joy is when he is working with students either in the classroom or on the many research or community projects.
Teaching and Related Service
- Florida State University - Tallahassee, Florida PhD in Mass Communication (Health Communication and Advertising focus) Dissertation: Structural Features Analysis of the Truth Anti-Smoking Campaign Cognate in Educational Leadership and Administration
- Florida State University - Tallahassee, Florida Master of Science in Marketing Communication and Information Technology
- Florida State University - Tallahassee, Florida Bachelor of Science in Business Communication Minor in History Cum Laude
- Palm Beach State College - Lake Worth, Florida Associate of Arts in Communication
- Advanced Writing for Strategic Communication PR / Strategic Comm.
- Campaigns Foundations of Strategic Communication
- Communication Research
- Honors Colloquium
Current and Past Professional Association Memberships: National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), Broadcast Education Association (BEA), Eastern Communication Association (ECA) Community Volunteer
- Monday: 10:00AM - 12:00PM, 1:00PM - 3:00PM
- Wednesday: 10:00AM - 12:00PM, 1:00PM - 3:00PM