Research, Professional and Creative Activity
The Paradoxical Nature of Academic Measures and Creativity here
Dr. McCarthy currently serves as Associate Chair of the Education Department. She has taught at Flagler since 2008 and has previously been on faculty at West Chester University of Pennsylvania. Additionally, she has seven years experience as a public school special education teacher in New York and Pennsylvania. She has recently been part of the Education team to develop a Severe and Profound Disabilities track in the Master’s in Deaf Education Program, and served on a committee to implement the first ever Honors Program at Flagler.
Teaching and Related Service
- Ph.D. in Special Education from the State University of New York at Buffalo
- M.S. in Special Education from Purdue University with emphasis on Learning and Behavioral Disorders.
- B.A. in Psychology, Purdue University
Area of Research:
Dr. McCarthy’s area of expertise is in serving students with high incidence disabilities, including learning disabilities and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, inclusive beliefs, and creativity in the classroom.
- Dr. McCarthy teaches Introduction to Exceptionalities
- Classroom Management
- Assessment in Special Education
- Secondary Instructional Strategies for students with Mild and Moderate Disabilities
- and Students with Severe and Profound Disabilities.
- Kappa Delta Pi International Education Honor Society
- Florida Gifted Association
- Club Advisor for Best Buddies International
- Member, National Council for Exceptional Children
- Member, Learning Disabilities Association of America
- Student Assistance Certification, Center for Addictive Disease
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Certificate
- Pennsylvania Commonwealth Permanent Teacher Certification
- Florida Professional Educator’s Certificate-Exceptional Student Education
- Widely published in peer-reviewed academic journals including Creative Education, Remedial and Special Education, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, and Journal of Reading, Writing, and Literacy.
- Project Leader-Democracy’s Laboratory/Florida Department of Education- trained more than 500 educators to teach Next Generation Social Studies Standards to diverse learners.