Research, Professional and Creative Activity
PUBLICATIONS (Peer Reviewed Journals)
- “Do Foreign Direct Investment and Foreign Aid Promote Good Governance in Africa?” (with Adugna Lemi and Sisay Asefa), International Journal of African Development, Vol. 1, Issue 1, 2013.
- “Exchange Rate Uncertainty, Political Risk, And Patterns of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI): A Comparison Across Developing Regions,” (with Isabel Ruiz), International Trade Journal, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2012.
- “Religious involvement and saving behavior among immigrants” (with Claudia Smith Kelly); Journal of International Finance Studies, Vol. 11, No 1, 2011.
- “Religious preferences, church attendance and life satisfaction among immigrants in USA” (with Claudia Smith Kelly and Adisu Kinfu), Journal of Business, Industry and Economics, Vol. 16, 2011.
- “The Impacts of Risk and Uncertainty on Remittances into Latin American Economies” Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2009.
- “The Influence of Religion on Remittances Sent to Relatives and Friends Back Home,” (with Claudia Smith Kelly), Journal of Business & Economics Research, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2009.
- “The Price Puzzle Revisited: Evidence from Colombia,” (with Isabel Ruiz), Revista Ecos de Economia, No. 22, 2006.
PUBLICATIONS (Conference Proceedings)
- “The Influence of Religion on Remittances Sent to Relatives and Friends Back Home,” The International Business and Economics Research Conference Proceedings, September 2008. Voted Best Paper by a Peer Review Process.
- “The Roles of Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Political risk on Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to Africa,” 4th International Conference on Ethiopian Development Studies, August 2007.
- “The Effect of Fertility on the Labor Supply of Married Women in Ethiopia,” (with Jean Kimmel), 3rd International Conference on Ethiopian Development Studies, June 2005.
Area of Research:
- International and Development Economics (Determinants of Remittances and Foreign Direct Investment and their impact on developing regions)
- Labor Economics (Fertility, Migration, and Labor Supply)
- Ph.D., Economics, Western Michigan University
- M.A., Economics, Western Michigan University
- B.A., Economics, Lawrence University
Teaching and Related Service
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- International Economics
- Development Economics
Omicron Delta Epsilon (Co-Advisor)
Office Hours (On campus):
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM