Research, Professional and Creative Activity
PUBLICATIONS (Peer Reviewed Journals)
- “Economic Performance and Human Capital Eligibility Requirements of Immigrants Admitted Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program” (with Claudia Smith Kelly) Vol. 22 (3), 2020.
- “Do Foreign Direct Investment and Foreign Aid Promote Good Governance in Africa?” (with Adugna Lemi and Sisay Asefa), International Journal of African Development, Vol. 1, Issue 1, 2013.
- “Exchange Rate Uncertainty, Political Risk, And Patterns of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI): A Comparison Across Developing Regions,” (with Isabel Ruiz), International Trade Journal, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2012.
- “Religious involvement and saving behavior among immigrants” (with Claudia Smith Kelly); Journal of International Finance Studies, Vol. 11, No 1, 2011.
- “Religious preferences, church attendance and life satisfaction among immigrants in USA” (with Claudia Smith Kelly and Adisu Kinfu), Journal of Business, Industry and Economics, Vol. 16, 2011.
- “The Impacts of Risk and Uncertainty on Remittances into Latin American Economies” Journal of Business Strategies, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2009.
- “The Influence of Religion on Remittances Sent to Relatives and Friends Back Home,” (with Claudia Smith Kelly), Journal of Business & Economics Research, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2009.
- “The Price Puzzle Revisited: Evidence from Colombia,” (with Isabel Ruiz), Revista Ecos de Economia, No. 22, 2006.
PUBLICATIONS (Conference Proceedings)
- Economic Performance and Human Capital Eligibility Requirements of Immigrants Admitted Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program” the “Conference on Economics and Finance Research (ICEFR)” (with Claudia Smith Kelly) conference proceedings in 2019.
- “The Influence of Religion on Remittances Sent to Relatives and Friends Back Home,” The International Business and Economics Research Conference Proceedings, September 2008. Voted Best Paper by a Peer Review Process.
- “The Roles of Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Political risk on Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to Africa,” 4th International Conference on Ethiopian Development Studies, August 2007.
- “The Effect of Fertility on the Labor Supply of Married Women in Ethiopia,” (with Jean Kimmel), 3rd International Conference on Ethiopian Development Studies, June 2005.
Area of Research:
- International and Development Economics (Determinants of Remittances and Foreign Direct Investment and their impact on developing regions)
- Labor Economics (Fertility, Migration, and Labor Supply)
- Ph.D., Economics, Western Michigan University
- M.A., Economics, Western Michigan University
- B.A., Economics, Lawrence University
Teaching and Related Service
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- International Economics
- Development Economics
Omicron Delta Epsilon (Co-Advisor)
Office Hours (Virtual):
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM