Dr. Burnley currently serves as Assistant Professor and ESOL Coordinator in the Education Department. She has taught at Flagler College-Tallahassee since 2011, when she joined the department as an adjunct instructor. Beginning in 2014, Dr. Burnley began teaching the ESOL Endorsement coursework as a full-time professor. She previously taught at Valencia Community College, Leon County Schools, and Fort Campbell High School. She recently served as Course Architect for the first-ever ESOL Endorsement hybrid course, and is currently the Faculty Advisor for Flagler College-Tallahassee's only Education major collegiate club, the SFEA.
Teaching and Related Service
- Carson-Newman University, Ed.D.
- University of Virginia, M.A.
- Universite de Paris-Sorbonne, Certificate
- Murray State University, B.A.
Area of Expertise:
- TESOL, Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages
Area of Research:
Dr. Burnley's area of expertise is in studying successful mitigation efforts designed to recognize, reduce, and/or eliminate known and unknown bias in preservice teachers as they enter the public school classroom environment. Of particular interest to Dr. Burnley are intentional efforts to provide inclusion of English Learners in the public school classroom.
- Cross-Cultural Communications
- Applied Linguistics for Educators
- ESOL Curriculum and Materials Development
- ESOL Curriculum and Materials Development (hybrid)
- Electronic Portfolio Development (co-teach)
- TESOL INTERNATIONAL
- LINGUISTIC SOCIETY OF AMERICA
- ASSOCIATION OF TEACHER EDUCATORS (2016-2017)
- EMERALD COAST TESOL OF FLORIDA
- AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF TEACHERS OF FRENCH
- GAMMA BETA PHI NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY (Murray State University and Carson-Newman University chapters)
- MENSA INTERNATIONAL
- TALLAHASSEE FAMILIES WITH ASIAN CHILDREN
- Faculty Advisor: Flagler College - Tallahassee Local Chapter of the SFEA Student Florida Education Association (2018-present)
- Official Reviewer: TESOL International, Awards Professional Council (2018)
- Committee Member: Linguistic Society of America, Language in the School Curriculum Committee (2018-present)
- Board Member-At-Large: Tallahassee Families with Asian Children (2008-present)
- Volunteer: Tallahassee Youth Orchestra (2018-present)
- Volunteer: St. John’s (Tallahassee) Episcopal Relief & Development Committee (2017-present)