Skip to Main content
Sheia Pleasant, Director of Financial Aid, working with students

Federal Aid

Many forms of aid for college students are offered through the Federal Government.

Need-Based Federal Grants

Eligibility for federal need-based grants, such as the Federal Pell Grant, is established by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The amount of the Pell Grant varies based on the FAFSA results. Financial Aid staff will notify students who qualify for a Pell Grant of the exact amount of their award.

Federal TEACH Grant

Education majors who plan to teach in high-need fields at schools that serve students from low-income families can apply for the TEACH Grant. As a condition of receiving a TEACH Grant, students must complete 4 years of service in a high-need field at a school that serves students from low-income families. More information can be found online here.

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans

Flagler College participates in the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Direct Loan Program. The Direct Loan Program allows students to borrow without having a cosigner or prior credit history.

To receive a student loan, the student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list Flagler's Federal School Code (007893) on the form. The student must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling online at

Federal Parent PLUS Loan

Parents may borrow the full amount of the student's Cost of Attendance (minus any other aid received) through the federal loan program. If a parent is denied a PLUS Loan, then the student is eligible to borrow additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan funds above the usual annual limit.

Grade level determines how much additional loan funds a student may apply for in this instance. Freshmen and sophomores can borrow $4,000 more per year, and juniors and seniors $5,000 more per year. The Federal Parent PLUS Loan Application can be completed online at

Ask Us

Connect with one of our financial aid counselors, who can help you with the details.

Meet Your Financial Aid Officer