Skip to Main content
Flags waving in front of group of studenst

International Students Q & A

Have questions about studying in the United States as an international student? We've got answers!

What kinds of degrees are offered in the U.S.?

Students can earn:

  • A two-year degree called an Associate’s degree
  • A four-year degree called a Bachelor’s degree ( four years at one college or two years beyond the Associates degree)
  • Post graduate degrees: Masters degrees and PhD (doctorate) degrees.
Back To Top
What is the difference between a college or university in the U.S.?

Both colleges and universities in the U.S. offer studies students undertake after completing secondary school. Colleges offer four-year degrees just as universities do. Community colleges in the U.S. typically offer two year Associate degrees only.

Back To Top
What is a Liberal Arts College? Is Flagler a Liberal Arts College?

The study of liberal arts dates back to the fifth century, when a philosopher defined the seven liberal arts as: grammar, dialectic, rhetoric, geometry, arithmetic, astronomy and music. The philosophy is to educate the student broadly and well. Flagler College offers a liberal arts core, but many of our programs are designed for a specific work-related outcome like Business, Communications, Education, etc.

Back To Top
How can I apply?

Students can use the application on Flagler College’s website, or the Common Application. The Common Application is used by over 500 colleges and universities that evaluate applications holistically; that is, the admissions staff take into consideration things like letters of recommendation and the application essay.

Back To Top
How can I send you my documents?

Your transcripts should be sent directly from a school official. Recommendation letters should be sent by the recommendation writer or a school official. We do permit you to send us the result sheets of external examinations by fax or scan and email. We will accept scanned and emailed copies of your test score reports from you whether they be SAT, ACT, TOEL or others. If you use the Common Application, the transcript and letters of recommendation will be sent directly from the adviser and teachers through that system.

Back To Top
How do I apply for scholarships?

At Flagler College, there is no specific process to apply for merit-based scholarships. If you are admitted to the College, you will automatically be considered for merit-based aid if you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. Flagler College does not offer academic scholarships to international students. If you hope to earn an athletic scholarship, you must contact the coach in the desired sport.

Back To Top
What standardized tests must I have to Flagler College?

The SAT or ACT is not required for admission for students living outside the U.S. However, all applicants from other countries must demonstrate proficiency in the English language regardless of whether their first language is English or another language. This can be accomplished by submitting any one of the following – SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, or passing scores in English on the GCE, GCSE, IGCSE, BGCSE, CSEC, CXC, CAPE or IB examinations. Official scores must be submitted with the application for admission. U.S. citizens living outside the U.S. are held to this same requirement.

Back To Top
When do I need to take the standardized tests?

It is recommended you take and receive the results for any required standardized tests well before the deadline. Your file is not considered complete and will not be evaluated the standardized test results are received. You may sit these exams more than once to improve your scores.

Back To Top
Is the cost to international students different than U.S. students at Flagler College?

If you an international student are attending a private college or university like Flagler College, your costs are the same as a U.S. citizen. The only additional cost to you is if you want to purchase a health insurance policy to protect you when within the U.S. Health insurance costs per year can range between $1,500 and $2,000 U.S.

Back To Top

Contact Us

We are here to help! Reach out to our admissions office for any questions you may have about applying to Flagler. Office of Admissions | 1-800-304-4208 | 904-819-6220