Skip to Main content
 Student climb steps outdoors in rural area, and one student gives thumbs up to the camera.

Information for Students

Before you apply, make sure that you have read and understood the information on Academic Policies and Costs and Financial Aid. This information is critical and may affect your decision about when and how to study abroad.

Academic Policies

Plan Ahead

With proper planning, you may be able to fulfill major, minor or general educations requirements while abroad.

  • Consult your department: For approval to study off-campus, talk to your academic advisor about your plans, as well as your department chairperson.
  • Complete a Degree Planner: The Academic Advising has several useful tools including the Four-Year Degree Planner
  • Know what requirements you will fulfill abroad and what you’ll need to complete upon return in order to graduate.

Transfer of Credits

Flagler Approved Semester and Summer Programs

The courses you take abroad will appear on your Flagler transcript as either Flagler courses or as transfer credits, depending on the exact course and program, and factor into your GPA—view the specific program’s academic details for exact information about how the credits will appear for each program. Courses must be taken for a grade.

For Flagler Faculty-Led Programs

The courses are taught by Flagler faculty and are considered Flagler courses. They will appear on your Flagler transcript as letter grades and factor into your Flagler GPA (unless it is a credit/no credit course).

For Non-Flagler Programs

Courses will need to be approved as transfer credits.

Participating in a Program During Your Final Semester

Although students may seek special permission to study abroad during their final semester, the Office of Study Abroad strongly suggests students do NOT study abroad on a semester program during their last term at Flagler.

Grades from abroad can be delayed which can cause difficulties with graduation; semester programs do not necessarily follow the Flagler College academic calendar and students must plan extremely carefully to be certain all requirements will be met.

Back To Top
Health and Safety

Student Safety

Flagler College considers the safety of its students a top priority. We require every student who studies abroad, regardless of the program type and sponsor, to attend a pre-departure orientation in which health, safety, legal and cultural issues are discussed.

Useful Websites

The following government websites provide valuable tips and information to help ensure that the study abroad experience is a safe one. We encourage all students and parents to carefully review their information:

U.S. State Department Safety Abroad Publication
U.S. State Department Travel Warnings & Consular Information
U.S. State Department Information for Students Traveling Abroad
U.S. State Department Country Information
CDC Travelers' Health Information

Travel Registration with US Embassies Abroad

Travel registration is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. Americans residing abroad can also get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

When an emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information. U.S. consular officers assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties, additionally they perform non-emergency services, helping Americans with absentee voting, selective service registration, receiving federal benefits, and filing U.S. tax forms.

By registering your trip, you help the embassy or consulate locate you when you might need them the most. Registration is voluntary and costs nothing, but it should be a big part of your travel planning and security.

To Register

  • Go to Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
  • To create an account, click the "Create an Account" link and follow the instructions provided.
  • Once you have created an account, you will view your profile and add trips or overseas residences to register with a specific US Embassy or Consulate.
    • Click on the "Add Trip" button or "Add Overseas Residence" buttons to add this information.
  • You will receive a confirmation email to ensure that you are registered correctly.

Health Insurance

It would be unwise to study abroad without being certain that you have health insurance that provides protection any place you travel. All Flagler students participating in study abroad, regardless of program type or sponsor should be covered by health insurance during their time abroad.

In general, when using health insurance internationally, students will need to pay out of pocket for all costs, and then submit a claim for reimbursement. Make sure you have gathered all the relevant information for your insurance policy--contact information, website, ID, policy and group numbers, claim procedures, etc.--so that you are prepared for any medical emergencies or needs while you are abroad.

Health Insurance Information

Back To Top
Passports & Visas


Apply for a passport as soon as you know you want to study abroad; it can take up to 12 weeks to get one. Already have a passport? Check the expiration date: if it’s going to expire within six months of your return date, you should renew your passport by mail. International students should check the expiration of their re-entry visa and verify visa status on the consulate website for the host country.

Your passport is your most important legal document while you are abroad, you will need it when traveling within your host country or moving between countries so be prepared when immigration officials or hotels/hostels ask for it, and most importantly keep it safe.

We recommend that you make at least 2 copies of the photo and information page before you leave so you can give one to a family member and take one with you. Some countries may require that you carry your passport at all times, so consult with your program director about the requirements and expectations in your host country.

US Passport Website


A visa is typically a sticker or stamp that is inserted into a page on your passport that allows you to enter a country. Visas are issued in a variety of categories including visitor, work and student.

To find out whether you will need to apply for a visa, and what type, before departure you must contact our office, your host program or university, or visit the website of the consulate in the U.S. for the country where your program is based.

For most countries, students generally cannot start the visa application process until 90 days prior to departure. If you will be issued a visa upon arrival (a stamp in your passport), you will need to carry documents related to your program with you. Students should always confirm specific procedures with each relevant consulate.

If you’re an international student, you may have a slightly different process for your visa application: students who are not U.S. citizens must verify visa status on the consulate website for the country where their program is based.

You’ll also need to secure (and check the expiration) of your re-entry visa. In some cases, international students can apply for the visa from the U.S.; in other cases, it’s better to apply from their home country. In both cases, it depends on the timing—i.e. when you are leaving the U.S. at the end of the semester and when you will need your visa for study abroad. Start researching early so that you can make an informed decision.

How do I start the visa process?

  • The best visa resource is the website of the relevant embassy or consulate. Before beginning the visa process, ensure you fully understand the requirements and do not run into any obstacles.
  • The visa process could differ from consulate to consulate. For example, the Italian Consulate in Miami may ask for different forms than the consulate in NYC.
    • Make sure you review the specific consulate website and don’t depend on what your friend has to do as they may be applying to a different consulate.
    • Find out if you need to apply in the jurisdiction where you go to school or where your permanent residence is located.
      • For example, if you are applying for a Spanish visa, and you attend school in Florida but live in Georgia, and are going home for the summer, you must be prepared to drive, fly, or take a bus or train to Miami. We cannot ask them to make any exceptions for you.

What might I need for my visa?

  • Requirements vary so make sure you look on the consulate’s website, but in general you can expect to provide the following when applying for a visa:
    • Demographic information of yourself and your parents, including dates and places of birth; your passport; your round-trip plane ticket; acceptance letter to your study abroad program and/or host institution; enrollment verification letter; detailed financial information, notarized (e.g., bank statements for the family and/or student, financial aid letter, etc.) and proof of health insurance coverage abroad.
    • Additional information may be required depending on type of visa and destination country.
  • Please submit any requested information exactly as asked or you risk not getting your visa.
  • Keep in mind that when applying for a visa, whether in person or via mail, you have to surrender your physical passport with your application materials.

How long is the visa process going to take?

  • Depending on the visa regulations for your program’s country, you may not be able to apply for a visa until 60-90 days prior to the program start date.
  • Research the average time it takes to process a visa. It may take as little as two weeks or up to 12 weeks. We advise our students to NOT make plans to travel internationally before the start of your program.

I know what documents I need, what’s next?

  • Most visas will require an appointment with the consulate, book your appointment well in advance! Appointments fill up fast and it is unlikely you’ll be able to book an appointment only 1-2 weeks in advance. If no appointment is required, arrive as early in the morning as possible and be prepared to stay in line until your turn. Once you meet with someone, it usually only takes a short time for them to review your documents.
  • Make sure you constantly monitor your e-mail so that you do not miss any necessary information for obtaining your visa: sometimes a consular officer may contact you for updated or additional information that you can fax, scan or mail to them.
  • Most countries require that students appear in person to obtain their visa. However, it may be possible to use a visa processing service/agent that acts as a stand-in for the student. Please be aware there is often an additional cost for using this visa processing service/agent.
Back To Top
Preparing to Go Abroad

General Preparations

Academic Policies

Make sure you understand the Academic Policies regarding course approvals and transfer credit. You will need to seek approvals from the relevant departments for major and minor requirements and will need to work with your advisor and Registrar Office for general education requirements and transfer credit approvals.

Financial Aid

Consult with the Financial Aid Office as early as possible if you regularly receive aid to determine how your aid might apply to your semester abroad.

Health & Safety

Review the information on Health and Safety and make any necessary preparations: for example, you will need to review your health insurance options and decide on coverage.

Supplemental Materials

After you are accepted, there is a deadline for all supplemental materials, so please get started on them right away. If you have questions about any of the supplemental materials, the Study Abroad Office will help in the process.


All students participating in study abroad regardless of program type and sponsor are required to attend the on-campus orientation during which health, safety, legal and cultural issues are discussed.

Useful Websites

You can also find valuable tips and information to on the following government websites. We encourage all students and parents to carefully review their information.

U.S. State Department Safety Abroad Publication
U.S. State Department Travel Warnings & Consular Information
U.S. State Department Information for Students Traveling Abroad
U.S. State Department Country Information

CDC Travelers' Health Information

Back To Top
Returning to Flagler

Program Evaluation

If you are on a program with Flagler faculty, you will be asked to complete an evaluation during the last stage of your trip or course. On other programs, you will most likely be asked to complete an evaluation towards the end of your program. Your evaluation of the program you attended is important and helps us provide the highest quality experiences for students by making program recommendations.

Transcripts, Grades and Credits

Transcripts from abroad will soon begin to arrive: make you have done everything you need to do to insure the process goes smoothly. Make sure you understand the policies regarding the transfer of grades and credits from abroad--the policies are different for different types of programs.

Make sure you have talked to the appropriate offices and advisors and have done the necessary legwork to make your grades count. If you have reviewed the information online and still have questions about how grades or credits work, contact the Registrar Office by (904) 819-6204 or

*Be aware, it can take up to 3 months to get grades from abroad.

Counseling and Psychological Services

If you are finding it hard to adjust to life back at Flagler College, consider contacting Counseling and Psychological Services. You can meet with one of their counselors or take advantage of their print and online resources and of the health programs they offer during the semester.

Back To Top

Contact Us

Have questions? Email the International Center.