Skip to Main content
Students and faculty stand outdoors in group, holding up flag reading

Information for Parents

Studying abroad is a wonderful, integrated academic opportunity for your student to earn credits toward a degree while developing a global awareness and skill set that employers find desirable. The benefits of studying abroad can be academic, professional and personal:

  • Earn academic credit toward a degree program
  • Learn a new language or improve existing language skills
  • Gain a competitive edge in the job market or for graduate school
  • Develop intercultural knowledge and abilities
  • Gain a new perspective on your field of study
  • Explore cultural differences, and find common values between cultures
  • Become a global citizen
  • Develop independence and self-reliance

Steps to Study Abroad

Academic Policies

Plan Ahead

With proper planning, you may be able to fulfill major, minor or general educations requirements while abroad.

  • Consult your department: For approval to study off-campus, talk to your academic advisor about your plans, as well as your department chairperson.
  • Complete a Degree Planner: The Academic Advising has several useful tools including the Four-Year Degree Planner
  • Know what requirements you will fulfill abroad and what you’ll need to complete upon return in order to graduate.

Transfer of Credits

Flagler Approved Semester and Summer Programs

The courses you take abroad will appear on your Flagler transcript as either Flagler courses or as transfer credits, depending on the exact course and program, and factor into your GPA—view the specific program’s academic details for exact information about how the credits will appear for each program. Courses must be taken for a grade.

For Flagler Faculty-Led Programs

The courses are taught by Flagler faculty and are considered Flagler courses. They will appear on your Flagler transcript as letter grades and factor into your Flagler GPA (unless it is a credit/no credit course).

For Non-Flagler Programs

Courses will need to be approved as transfer credits.

Participating in a Program During Your Final Semester

Although students may seek special permission to study abroad during their final semester, the Office of Study Abroad strongly suggests students do NOT study abroad on a semester program during their last term at Flagler.

Grades from abroad can be delayed which can cause difficulties with graduation; semester programs do not necessarily follow the Flagler College academic calendar and students must plan extremely carefully to be certain all requirements will be met.

Back To Top
Choosing a Program

Learn about the different program options, what to consider when choosing a program, and details about the individual programs .

Faculty-Led Programs

Exchange Programs

Independent Study

Back To Top
Health and Safety

Student Safety

Flagler College considers the safety of its students a top priority. We require every student who studies abroad, regardless of the program type and sponsor, to attend a pre-departure orientation in which health, safety, legal and cultural issues are discussed.

Useful Websites

The following government websites provide valuable tips and information to help ensure that the study abroad experience is a safe one. We encourage all students and parents to carefully review their information:

U.S. State Department Safety Abroad Publication
U.S. State Department Travel Warnings & Consular Information
U.S. State Department Information for Students Traveling Abroad
U.S. State Department Country Information
CDC Travelers' Health Information

Travel Registration with US Embassies Abroad

Travel registration is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. Americans residing abroad can also get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

When an emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information. U.S. consular officers assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties, additionally they perform non-emergency services, helping Americans with absentee voting, selective service registration, receiving federal benefits, and filing U.S. tax forms.

By registering your trip, you help the embassy or consulate locate you when you might need them the most. Registration is voluntary and costs nothing, but it should be a big part of your travel planning and security.

To Register

  • Go to Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
  • To create an account, click the "Create an Account" link and follow the instructions provided.
  • Once you have created an account, you will view your profile and add trips or overseas residences to register with a specific US Embassy or Consulate.
    • Click on the "Add Trip" button or "Add Overseas Residence" buttons to add this information.
  • You will receive a confirmation email to ensure that you are registered correctly.

Health Insurance

It would be unwise to study abroad without being certain that you have health insurance that provides protection any place you travel. All Flagler students participating in study abroad, regardless of program type or sponsor should be covered by health insurance during their time abroad.

In general, when using health insurance internationally, students will need to pay out of pocket for all costs, and then submit a claim for reimbursement. Make sure you have gathered all the relevant information for your insurance policy--contact information, website, ID, policy and group numbers, claim procedures, etc.--so that you are prepared for any medical emergencies or needs while you are abroad.

Health Insurance Information

Back To Top
Preparing to Go Abroad

General Preparations

Academic Policies

Make sure you understand the Academic Policies regarding course approvals and transfer credit. You will need to seek approvals from the relevant departments for major and minor requirements and will need to work with your advisor and Registrar Office for general education requirements and transfer credit approvals.

Financial Aid

Consult with the Financial Aid Office as early as possible if you regularly receive aid to determine how your aid might apply to your semester abroad.

Health & Safety

Review the information on Health and Safety and make any necessary preparations: for example, you will need to review your health insurance options and decide on coverage.

Supplemental Materials

After you are accepted, there is a deadline for all supplemental materials, so please get started on them right away. If you have questions about any of the supplemental materials, the Study Abroad Office will help in the process.


All students participating in study abroad regardless of program type and sponsor are required to attend the on-campus orientation during which health, safety, legal and cultural issues are discussed.

Useful Websites

You can also find valuable tips and information to on the following government websites. We encourage all students and parents to carefully review their information.

U.S. State Department Safety Abroad Publication
U.S. State Department Travel Warnings & Consular Information
U.S. State Department Information for Students Traveling Abroad
U.S. State Department Country Information

CDC Travelers' Health Information

Back To Top

Flagler College has a wide range of scholarships to offer its students. We offer a variety of Flagler College scholarships as well as non-affiliated ones. Please look through the scholarships available to find your best fit.

Flagler College Scholarships

  • Diane Sheeran Cassidy Memorial Scholarship for Study Abroad.
    This scholarship was established in 2012 by family and friends as a memorial to Diane Sheeran Cassidy ’12. The second eldest of nine siblings, Diane majored in Elementary Education. Her adventurous spirit was demonstrated by the international trips she took with her father, including those to various parts of Africa. Through this scholarship, Flagler College students will be able to participate in traveling experiences, which Diane so much enjoyed throughout her lifetime.
  • James W. Babcock and B. Teri Ludwick-Babcock Endowed Scholarship for Study Abroad.
    This scholarship was established in 2012 by James W. Babcock and B. Teri Ludwick-Babcock. To qualify, a student must have sophomore standing with the completion of at least 45 credit hours (with the exception of Flagler College Faculty Led programs which require 24 attempted credit hours); have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher; and be a degree-seeking student. Further, the student must have a declared major in Coastal Environmental Science. The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of merit; however, consideration will be given to students with demonstrated financial need.
  • Janie Dickson Memorial Scholarship.
    The Janie Dickson Memorial Scholarship supports Flagler College students who share the dedication to learning, cultural exchange, and community service that Flagler College alumna Janie Dickson (1974-2001) adeptly and enthusiastically exemplified. To qualify, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 and have an interest in participating in an enrichment activity, such as a conference, study abroad, or volunteer mission. To apply, students should contact the Dean of Counseling.
  • Unger Family Scholarship for Study Abroad.
    Established in 2008 by the Unger Family, including Rachel Unger Branch ‘06, in order to recognize a student’s pursuit of excellence by broadening his or her educational and life experiences beyond borders. The Unger Family has had the opportunity to develop “the richness of life” through their personal experiences with a variety of cultures and norms during their many moves, both domestically and internationally. They believe that the world today embraces multilingual, multi-ethnic, and multi-cultural challenges, and our leaders of the future must have an appreciation and style of leadership that can thrive in the global marketplace. To qualify, a student must submit an application for a Faculty Led Study Abroad OR a direct exchange program with one of our partner institutions to the Study Abroad Office and indicate on the application that they would like to apply for the Unger Scholarship. A statement of intent explaining why they would like to receive this scholarship must be attached as well as a letter of reference from a faculty member.

Outside Scholarships

  • Allianz Global Assistance Scholar Trips.
    ScholarTrips is a scholarship program that awards creativity and the desire to travel. Since its launch in 2004, it has awarded over $90,000 to young scholars across the United States—enabling them to explore the world.
    Find out more
  • Ambassador Marilyn McAfee Scholarship Program
    The McAfee Scholarship presents a $2000 scholarship award and a $1000 scholarship award to undergraduate and graduate students with outstanding academic performance and career aspirations in international business, public administration, foreign affairs or military service. A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required to apply for this scholarship. For more details on the application process and eligibility requirements, please contact the World Affairs Council of Jacksonville office at 904-280-8162 or
  • Boren Scholarships
    Boren Scholarships provide funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded. Boren Scholars represent a vital pool of highly motivated individuals who wish to work in the federal national security arena. In exchange for funding, Boren Scholars commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation.
    Find out more
  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
    The Gilman Scholarship Program aims to diversify the kinds of students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions where they go by offering awards to U.S. undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints. The Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
    Find out more
  • Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan
    The Bridging Project offers scholarships to American undergraduate students participating in study-abroad programs in Japan. Funding from private foundations and major U.S. corporations, through donations to the nonprofit US-Japan Bridging Foundation, makes it possible to award about 100 scholarships each year to assist students with the travel and living expenses they will incur while studying abroad in Japan for a semester or an academic year. Applications are accepted twice a year for Bridging Scholarships. Bridging Scholarship recipients receive a stipend of $2,500 (for students on semester-long programs) or $4,000 (for students on academic year programs). Students studying in Japan on summer programs are not eligible to apply.
    Find out more
  • The British Transatlantic Exchange Association (BUTEX)
    BUTEX offers £500 scholarships to undergraduate students studying abroad in the United Kingdom at participating UK universities. For more information, please
    Find out more
  • DAAD: German Academic Exchange Service
    Highly qualified undergraduate students are invited to apply for scholarships that provide funding for study abroad, senior thesis research, and/or internships in Germany. The goal of this program is to support students studying abroad in Germany from between 4-10 months. Recipients will receive a monthly stipend of €650 plus additional funds to help defray additional expenses.
    Find out more
  • Education Ireland and Go Overseas Scholarship for students studying in Ireland
    Go Overseas and Education Ireland have teamed up to offer $15,000 scholarships for students studying abroad in Ireland.
    Apply online
  • Education New Zealand and Go Overseas Scholarship for students studying in New Zealand
    Go Overseas has partnered with Education New Zealand to give one US student a full scholarship ($15,000) to study abroad in New Zealand.
    Apply online
  • Freeman-ASIA Scholarships
    Freeman Awards for Study in Asia are designed to support U.S.-based undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who are planning to study overseas in East or Southeast Asia. The program’s goal is to increase the number of U.S. citizens and permanent residents with first-hand exposure to and understanding of Asia and its peoples and cultures.
    Find out more
  • Fulbright Summer Institutes in the UK
    The US-UK Fulbright Commission offers special Summer Institutes for US citizens to come to the UK. These summer programs provide the opportunity for US rising sophomores and juniors to come to the UK on a three, four, five or six week academic and cultural summer program. The Summer Institutes will cover the majority of participant costs. This includes round-trip airfare from the US to the UK, tuition and fees at the host university/institution, accommodation and meals and in some cases a small daily allowance.
    Find out more
  • Fund for Education Abroad
    The Fund for Education Abroad is dedicated to supporting students interested in pursuing education programs abroad. Applicants from groups underrepresented in study abroad and those destined for non-traditional locations are given preference, in an effort to make the demographics of U.S. undergraduates studying abroad reflect the rich diversity of the U.S. population.
    Find out more
  • Generation Study Abroad Scholarships for New Zealand
    Education New Zealand and New Zealand tertiary institutions are supporting Generation Study Abroad students with excellence and travel awards. Education New Zealand Study Abroad Travel Awards (ENZTA) offer US$2,000 to help students fund their flight to New Zealand. Generation Study Abroad New Zealand Universities Excellence Awards (NZUEA) offer US $500 for study at one of the eight New Zealand universities.
    Find out more
  • Go Overseas Scholarships
    Go Overseas supports international education through scholarships available to students participating in study abroad programs. Scholarships are awarded each year. The scholarship is awarded based on the creativity and analytical thinking displayed through writing samples and/or video submissions. The award for each scholarship is $1,000.
    Find out more
  • JASSO Scholarships for International Students in Japan
    The Japanese Student Services Organization (JASSO) provides scholarships for students studying abroad in Japan.
    Find out more
  • Killam Fellowships Program
    The Killam Fellowships Program provides an opportunity for exceptional undergraduate students from universities in Canada and the United States to spend either one semester or a full academic year as an exchange student in the other country. Students may participate in the program either as a direct exchange student (registering at their home university, paying their home fees, and attending the host university as an exchange visitor) or as a self-placed visiting student (applying for and registering at the host university, and paying host tuition fees). The Killam Fellowships Program offers a cash award of $10,000 US ($5,000 US per semester), along with an allowance of up to $500 in the currency of the host country.
    Find out more
  • MASA Grants and Scholarships to Israel
    MASA provides funding opportunities for Jewish students without Israeli citizenship wishing to studying in Israel.
    Find out more
  • National Italian American Foundation Scholarship
    The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) annually awards scholarships to outstanding students in the summer for use during the following academic year. The awards will be made on the basis of academic merit and divided between two groups of students.
    Find out more

Research-Based Scholarships

  • Flagler College Internal Student Research Funding
    Grants up to $500 for the purpose of encouraging undergraduate students from all disciplines to participate in independent research and creative projects in collaboration with Flagler College faculty.

Post-Graduate Scholarships

  • Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX)
    The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) is a fellowship funded by the German Bundestag and the U.S. Congress that annually provides 75 American and 75 German Young Professionals the opportunity to spend one year in each others' countries, studying, interning, and living with hosts on a cultural immersion program. The program is open to candidates in all career fields who are interested in a year of cultural exchange. CBYX for Young Professionals is open to candidates in all career fields, and applicants from a broad range of backgrounds are selected for the program each year. Candidates in business, vocational, scientific, engineering, technical, and agricultural fields are especially encouraged to apply. Prior German language knowledge is not required, but is strongly preferred. Participants must be between the ages of 18-24 and be US citizens or permanent residents.
    Find out more
  • Michel David-Weil Scholarship for Sciences Po Paris (France)
    The Michel David-Weil Scholarship is an $80,000 fellowship that covers all expenses for an exceptional American student to pursue their graduate education at Sciences Po. Sciences Po offers graduate programs in political science & international relations, economics, history, law and sociology. Nearly all graduate degree programs offer French and English tracks, so applicants are not required to speak French.
    Find out more
Back To Top

Contact Us

Have questions? Email the International Center.