This course will continue the work of the First-Year Seminar on Liberal Education and Citizenship (FYS) by focusing on the development of an inclusive academic community that prepares students to be informed and ethical citizens in a diverse, dynamic, and globalized world. Courses will be offered in an intensive-format Maymester or JanTerm, or a FlagSHIP-dedicated Spring or Summer course, and devoted to topics developed and offered by faculty from any discipline. Course formats may include study abroad or study away, community-integrative education, undergraduate research, or on-campus intensive-format seminar. These intensive and experiential learning opportunities will focus on exposing students to diverse points of view and people, improving intercultural competence and illuminating the complex systems and legacies (social, cultural, environmental, economic, political, and physical) that shape an increasingly interdependent world. Courses will also foster dialogue across difference and build confidence in students’ abilities to participate as citizens in a diverse democracy. Courses will be taken P/F.Back To Top
- JanTerm courses will run from January 4, 2021, to January 15, 2021.
- Maymester courses will run from May 11, 2021, to May 28, 2021.
- FlagSHIP registration will take place on Thursday, April 23, at 7:00 PM.
- You must register for one FlagSHIP course.
- All FlagSHIP courses use the course code of CDD in MyFlagler.
- To search for and add FlagSHIP courses in MyFlagler, select 2020-2021 Spring Semester Session C for JanTerm, and 2020-2021 Summer Term Session C for Maymester.
- All US citizen students registering for JanTerm abroad courses must apply for a US Passport by August 2020. Current passport holders must possess a passport with 6 months of validity from January 2021 (meaning your passport must be valid until at least July 2021). If it is not, you will need to apply for renewal prior to travel. In addition, all students participating in a Flagler travel course must attend a mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation provided by the International Center. Details will be sent following registration.
For on-campus JanTerm Courses, tuition costs are included. For students living on campus during the 2020-2021 Academic Year, room and board are also included.
For on-campus Maymester Courses, tuition costs are included. Maymester courses will require a room and board charge for students wishing to reside on-campus.
- For JanTerm and Maymester Study Abroad and Study Away courses, tuition costs are included. These courses have additional costs and the estimates are included in the course descriptions.
- A $300 non-refundable trip deposit is due by August 15, 2020 (paid via studyabroad.flagler.edu). This deposit goes towards the program fees.
- September 15 - Last day to drop FlagSHIP Travel for a refund of program costs.
- November 15 - Program Balance Due (paid on Student Account in MyFlagler).
Some institutional aid may be available to alleviate some travel costs for students with demonstrated financial need (per their FAFSA). Information on how to apply is forthcoming and will be updated here when available. Students will know of approval by the end of the summer.