Center for Teaching and Learning
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) seeks to facilitate excellence in teaching that encourages a culture of collaboration in a way that is relevant to student’s aspirations, abilities, and experiences. Fostering the pedagogical and professional development of our faculty as both teachers and scholars, the Center aims to support the College’s mission to help students realize their learning potential.
- Evaluate the types of faculty development that are currently offered throughout campus at the departmental, school, college, and campus-level and collaborate to support those programs through the CTL
- Design and implement new evidence-based programming through the CTL that enhances teaching and learning based upon the needs of the faculty and students
- Establish a system that assesses innovation and effectiveness in the classroom and rewards those efforts
- Launch a standardized procedure for assessing the programming designed by the CTL and use that data to refine the offerings
- Investigate best practices currently in use at other institutions, both nationally and internationally, to inform our programming
Meet the Director
Dr. Ed McGinley is the inaugural director of the Center for Teaching and Learning at Flagler College. The center was launched in the summer of 2019 as part of the college’s strategic plan. Dr. McGinley started at the college in 2012 in the Department of Natural Sciences and has been active in research focused on fisheries ecology. During this time, he has focused on two major priorities: 1) involve undergraduates in his research agenda; and 2) bring real-world data into the classroom. Through reflection at the end of each semester, strategies for presenting science to students are constantly reviewed and revised. He believes that teaching is a constant process and there is always room to improve and change his pedagogy to make science fun for students while still maintaining the necessary rigor. This love of teaching and desire to improve has been his guiding principles since becoming the director of the center.
February 11 – 13 2021
2021 General Education, Pedagogy, and Assessment – Virtual
AAC&U’s 2021 Conference on General Education, Pedagogy, and Assessment invites colleagues from all areas of the higher education landscape to join us in sharing efforts to create intentional and integrated general education programs that grapple with contemporary challenges, assess our current practices, and generate high-quality educational experiences for all students.Back To Top
June 4 - 6 2021
New Orleans, LA
The Teaching Professor Conference is the place for educators who are passionate about the art and science of teaching. It’s an exhilarating three-day event focused on the latest research-based, classroom-tested best practices to enhance your knowledge and drive ever-better outcomes for the students you teach.Back To Top