Priority 1: Create A Transformative Academic Culture
Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Strengthen Liberal Education, Inclusivity, and Citizenship
- Objective 1: Implement the new Quality Enhancement Plan: “Liberal Education and Citizenship in a Diverse Democracy.”
- Objective 2: Establish two post-doctoral fellowships for historically marginalized faculty.
Goal 2: Advance the Undergraduate Program through the Reform of General Education and the Addition of New Majors
- Objective 1: Commence a review and reform of the College’s general education program with the goal of eliminating distribution requirements and establishing core literacy requirements grounded in courses specifically designed for general education.
- Objective 2: Develop a limited number of new major programs that emphasize high impact practices, integrative learning, and signature work
Goal 3: Develop Integrative Education and Expand High Impact Practices
- Objective 1: Develop a new Integrative Study requirement for all students.
- Objective 2: Implement a Center for Campus Innovation and Integration.
- Objective 3: Conduct a feasibility study on the possibility of establishing a field research station on the College’s Stocking Island property in the Bahamas.
- Objective 4: Dedicate a full-time staff position or part-time faculty positions to the promotion and development of high impact educational practices beyond study abroad and internships, such as undergraduate research, community integrative education, and learning communities.
Goal 4: Expand Academic Advising and Support
- Objective 1: Evaluate the current faculty-based advising system and consider reorganizing the Office of the First-Year Experience and the Office of Student Success and Advising into a single office with dedicated staff advisors.
- Objective 2: Develop a first-year Discovery Program for students undecided on their major field of study.
- Objective 3: Develop an ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Program to address the educational needs of international students.
Goal 5: Expand Adult, Online, Hybrid, and Continuing Education
- Objective 1: Integrate the Public Administration program and the Tallahassee campus into the administrative structure and culture of the College.
- Objective 2: Centralize responsibility for the development of online adult education programs under the Office of Adult and Continuing Education and support these programs with appropriate staffing and resources.
- Objective 3: Develop two or more online degree completion programs in selected fields.
- Objective 4: Expand online certification programs.
- Objective 5: Develop one or more Master’s Degree programs.
Goal 6: Expand Support for Teaching and Professional Development of Faculty
- Objective 1: Develop a Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Objective 2: Complete a faculty and staff compensation study and implement an improvement plan.
- Objective 3: Establish a merit-based fund for faculty professional development.
- Objective 4: Maintain and gradually improve the current full-time faculty-to-student ratio by adding one new full-time faculty position for every 20 students above 2,500 based upon the annual average enrollment.
- Objective 5: Consider the adoption of faculty “creativity contracts” that would allow greater flexibility in determining teaching and professional development requirements and responsibilities.