Email Forwarding (Redirecting)
Follow the instructions below to forward your Flagler email to another email account. This type of forwarding is actually called "redirecting."
Click this icon wherever you see it to view a screenshot of the specified step.
- Sign into your email at https://exchange.flagler.edu.
- Click on Options in the upper-right and select "Create an Inbox Rule..."
- Click "New..."
- In the New Inbox Rule screen, click the drop-down menu for "When the message arrives, and:"
- If you would like ALL of your incoming mail redirected, choose "[Apply to all messages.]"
- Click the drop-down menu for "Do the following:" and choose "Redirect the message to..."
- A window will pop up, allowing you to choose or type the email address to which you would like to forward your emails. To select a recipient, highlight his or her name from the contact list and click "To->" at the bottom. To enter an email address that is not in the contact list, simply type it in the field next to "To->" at the bottom of the window. To enter multiple addresses, you can separate them with a semicolon (;).
- When you have entered all of the email addresses to which you would like your email forwarded, click "OK."
- Review the settings on the New Inbox Rule screen. If the settings are correct, click "More Options..."
- Enter a descriptive name for your rule so that if you need to modify or add rules in the future, you will know what this particular rule does.
- If you wish, you may use "Add Exception" to add exceptions to the forwarding rule.
- Click "Save."
- A warning box may appear asking "Do you want this rule to apply to all future messages?" Click "Yes" to start forwarding your email. Please note that this new rule will only apply to email sent since you have created the rule. It will not forward old mail that you already have in your mailbox.
Notes on Redirecting
(Source: Microsoft's Support Website)
- Messages that are redirected will appear to come from the original sender. When you reply to a message that has been redirected, the reply will be sent to the original sender.
- Messages that are forwarded will appear to be forwarded from you. When you reply to a message that has been forwarded, the reply will be sent to the address the message was forwarded from, not to the original sender.
- A copy of messages that you redirect or forward will remain in your mailbox.
- If you add an action to delete the message, the message will go to your Deleted Items folder and will still be counted against your mailbox limit. If you exceed your mailbox limit, you may be blocked from sending or receiving new messages and forwarding rules may not work until you delete enough messages to bring the total below your mailbox limit.
- When you create a forwarding rule, you can add more than one address to forward to. The number of addresses you can forward to may be limited, depending on the settings for your account. If you add more addresses than are allowed, your forwarding rule won’t work. If you create a forwarding rule with more than one address, test it to be sure it works.
- If you are forwarding your emails to a Gmail account, there is a chance that the Flagler emails could go into your spam folder. This problem is solved by creating a filter in gmail which ensures that all official Flagler.edu emails never end up in your spam folder. Instructions on how to set up the filter can be found here.