Skip Navigation
Flagler College - An Unparalleled Value

Health and Safety

Flagler College Study Abroad Program


Summer 2015

Study Abroad Italy
Study Abroad Germany
Study Abroad Cuba
Study Abroad Bermuda
Study Abroad Spain


Summer 2014

Study Abroad Bermuda
Study Abroad Peru
Study Abroad France


Study Abroad Bloggers

Follow our student bloggers currently studying abroad in Peru.


Student Safety

Flagler College considers the safety of its students a top priority. We require every student who studies abroad, regardless of the program type and sponsor, to attend a pre-departure orientation during which health, safety, legal and cultural issues are discussed.

Useful Websites

The following government websites provide valuable tips and information to help ensure that the study abroad experience is a safe one. We encourage all students and parents to carefully review their information:

Travel Registration with US Embassies Abroad

Travel registration is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. Americans residing abroad can also get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. U.S. embassies and consulates assist nearly 200,000 Americans each year who are victims of crime, accident, or illness, or whose family and friends need to contact them in an emergency. When an emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information. U.S. consular officers assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties. Consular officers also perform non-emergency services, helping Americans with absentee voting, selective service registration, receiving federal benefits, and filing U.S. tax forms. By registering your trip, you help the embassy or consulate locate you when you might need them the most. Registration is voluntary and costs nothing, but it should be a big part of your travel planning and security.

To Register

  • Go to Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
  • Create an account by clicking on the "Create an Account" link and following the instructions provided.
  • Once you have created an account, you will view your profile and add trips or overseas residences to register with a specific US Embassy or Consulate. Click on the "Add Trip" button or "Add Overseas Residence" buttons to add this information. Follow through the pages, and complete as much information as you have available.
  • You will receive a confirmation email to ensure that you are registered correctly.

Health Insurance

It would be unwise to study abroad without being certain that you have health insurance that provides protection any place you travel. All Flagler students participating in study abroad, regardless of program type or sponsor should be covered by health insurance during their time abroad. In general, when using health insurance internationally, students will need to pay out of pocket for all costs, and then submit a claim for reimbursement. Make sure you have gathered all the relevant information for your insurance policy--contact information, website, ID, policy and group numbers, claim procedures, etc.--so that you are prepared for any medical emergencies or needs while you are abroad.

Health Insurance Information