Faculty Director: Role and Responsibilities
On a faculty-led field study program, the faculty director is the primary (and often only) Flagler representative. We expect that the faculty director for a field study program will:
- Lead the program and teach the course
- Be available to students for reasonable needs relating to academic, health, emotional, travel and logistical issues
- Be accessible at all times as the primary emergency contact on-site
- Be housed with or near the student participants
- Participate in all program activities and excursions
For a full discussion of Faculty Director responsibilities and the responsibilities of Study Abroad Office for a Faculty Led program, please view the Study Abroad Hand Book. All faculty and staff members proposing a new field study course must read these guidelines.
Resources for Faculty Directors
Pedagogy and Curriculum
While the following resources are focused on particular academic fields, the broad concepts and approaches are relevant to any field study course.
- "Developing a Faculty-Led Short-Term Study Abroad Program: An Evolutionary Process", Mills, LaVelle H., The Journal of International Management Studies, Volume 5, Number 2, August 2010. Full text available via ProQuest.
- "Study abroad learning activities: A synthesis and comparison", Duke, Charles R, Journal of Marketing Education; Volume 22, Number 2, Aug 2000. Full text available via ProQuest.
- "Assessing the Field Course Experiential Learning Model: Transforming Collegiate Short-Term Study Abroad Experiences into Rich Learning Environments," McLaughlin, Jacqueline S., and D. Kent Johnson, Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, Volume 13, November 2006.
- "Tools for Developing Short-Term Study Abroad Classes for Geography Studies," Stanitski, Diane, and Kurtis Fuellhart, The Journal of Geography, Volume 102, Number 5, Sep/Oct 2003. Full text available via ProQuest.
- "Risk Management in Study Abroad: Lessons from the Wilderness," Ritchie, Mark A., Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, Volume 9, Fall 2003.
- "Over-stressed, Overwhelmed, and Over Here: Resident Directors and the Challenges of Student Mental Health Abroad," Lucas, John, Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, Volume 18, Fall 2009.