Ms. Natalie Whitlock Stephenson
Research, Professional and Creative Activity:
- Graphic designer and creative director with experience developing interactive web applications, corporate identities, brand strategies, advertising campaigns, and a variety of marketing collateral.
- Winner of numerous Gold and Silver ADDY awards presented by the American Advertising Federation’s CAMP chapter in Coastal Carolina.
- Recipient of a 2008 Silver Sir Walter Raleigh Award presented by the PRSA.
- Member of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA).
- Served on the School of Creative Arts’ Executive Committee at James Cook University, Townsville, QLD, Australia.
- Ph.D. topic: “Service-learning in design education”
- Other research topics include: empathy in design thinking, design for the aging population, visualizations that simplify complexity, human-centered design research methods
Professor Stephenson earned her M.Des. in Communication Planning and Information Design from Carnegie Mellon University and her B.A. in Communication Arts from Georgetown College. She is in the process of completing her Ph.D. in Creative Arts – Media Design from James Cook University. Her professional portfolio includes work from a diverse clientele, ranging from small start-ups to international brands, like Butterball, and a variety of Australian organizations, like Suncorp, AMP, Defence Community Organisation, and Runge.
Teaching and Related Service:
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Computer Graphics
Previously taught at:
- James Cook University
- University of North Carolina Wilmington
- High Point University