Write a 750 word or less essay- What questions does the story provike in your mind- about Chris' life, about the lives of those he interacted with, or about your own life? Where do these questions come from in the novel, and how do you think about your upcoming college experience as a chance to explore, and perhaps begin to form your own answers to, those questions?
For many readers, Krakauer’s investigation of Chris’ life and death provokes more questions than it provides answers for. There are practical questions, of course — about how exactly Chris died, for example — but we’re talking more about philosophical questions here. Explain your answer with reference to the book itself, and what in it has prompted your response.
- Your essay should have your name and Flagler email address in the top left corner
- Essays must be submitted in .doc or .pdf format
- When citing the book, please note the page number referenced
- Submit your essay by August 10th to the Director of First Year Experience, Jill Miller, at firstname.lastname@example.org. A panel of Flagler faculty will read the essays, select the winners, and send out invitations to students before Orientation begins.
* More about Carine’s book and the story of its writing can be found in the links below:
and, from NPR:
June 16-19, 2015
July 1, 2015
Building Your Legacy Orientation Begins
August 22, 2015
Course Registration Links
(must use your MyFlagler login info)
questions? email email@example.com