Judge Richard Poland
Professor, Director of Pre-Law
Research, Professional and Creative Activity:
RECENT PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and HONORS
- Ranked in top 10% (IDEA) nation-wide as undergraduate teacher of law courses.
- Flagler College Professor of the Year, 2007-08 and 2009-10.
- Editor of 1st- 6th Editions, Flagler College Pre-Law Handbook For Undergraduates.
- Author of Six Articles in SAPLA Handbook for Pre-Law Advisors -14th Ed.
- “Legal Education Before Law School,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, 9/15/06.
- “Sharpness of Justices’ Minds Made October 3 Memorable,” The Daytona Beach News Journal, 10/9, 2005.
- “Stick With Socrates,” National Jurist, January, 2003.
- “Are Lawyers Effective as Business Managers?, Florida General Practice Journal, Vol. XVIII No. 2, Fall, 1995.
- USA Today, November 23, 1992, Picture and Quote defining Sexual Harassment.
- Author of several articles cited on the national website – www.prelawhandbook.com .
- Moderator of “Debunking Law School Myths” Panel at SAPLA Conference at Duke University October 21, 2003.
- Six Flags of IRAQ War Panelist at Flagler Auditorium November 23, 2003.
- Chair of 20th Anniversary SAPLA Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, November, 2002.
- Co-Chair of the Joint 2001 Conference of the Southern Association and the
- Northeast Association of Pre-Law Advisors in Williamsburg, Virginia (June 2001).
- Moderator of ADA Educational Panel at the 2000 PLANC Conference in San Diego.
- Board of Directors for Pre-Law Advisors National Council, Inc., 2000-2002.
- Presenter for Pre-Law Curriculum and Models of Pre-Law Advising Panels at SAPLA Conference in Atlanta, November, 2002.
- Elected President of SAPLA, 2000-2002.
- Elected to SAPLA Board of Directors as the At-Large Member, 2003-2007.
- Introduction to Law Advisory Board for Houghton-Mifflin Publishers.
- Acknowledged by Taking Sides-Clashing Views on Controversial Legal Issues, 8th and 9th Editions.
- Acknowledged by Author of Introduction to Law and the Legal System, 7th Edition.
- Contracted Reviewer of Introduction to Law and the Legal System, 8th Edition, Houghton Mifflin (cover quote).
- Contracted Reviewer of Law and Justice, 6th Edition, Prentice Hall.
- Contracted Reviewer of American Courts, 7th Edition, Wadsworth Publishing.
- Contracted Reviewer of A Short Guide to Writing About Law, Pearson Education
Listed in various editions of the following Who’s Who Publications:
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- Who’s Who in American Education
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who In American Law
- Who’s Who in American Politics
- Who’s Who in Finance and Industry
- Who’s Who in The World
- Past President, Madison Kiwanis
- Past Member, American Legion
- Past Member, Various District School Boards
- Past Member, American Judges Association
- Past Member, The Supreme Court Historical Society
- Past Member, St. Augustine Beach Code Enforcement Board
- Past Member, St. Johns County Drug Council
- Participant and Member, National College of Probate Judges (1977-91)
- Former Deacon at Anastasia Baptist Church
Articles written by Judge Poland
Sample Quotes from Flagler grads who participated in the Flagler College Pre-Law program
74 King Street
St. Augustine, FL 32085
(904) 829-6338 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of Birth: June 23, 1947
Spouse: Judy Poland
Children: Brooke, Mike, & Tammy
Juris Doctorate, Northeastern University, Boston, Mass. 1974. (No class ranking)
Master of Science in Business, Thomas College, Waterville, Maine, 1993.
Thesis: "The Lawyer as an Effective Manager: The Verdict Please." (3.92 GPA)
Bachelor of Arts, Taylor University, Upland, Indiana, 1969. Cum Laude, Who’s Who Among Students, Student Body President, and President’s Scholarship Recipient.
Teaching and Related Service:
Thomas College Graduate School of Business, 1992.
Graduate Course Taught: Legal Aspects of Management
Flagler College, 1994 to date.
- Founding Pre-Law Program Director
- Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs
- Chair, Academic Program Accessibility Committee
- College Administrative Council Member
- Curriculum Committee Member
- Administrator of the Year, 1994-95
- Faculty of the Year, 2007-08 and 2009-10.
- Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor
- Flagler College Senator and Executive Committee Member
- Chair, Truman Scholarship Committee
- Chair, Faculty Welfare Committee
- Chair, Pre-Law Program Review
- SACS Faculty Self-Study Committee Member
- Academic Continuation Committee Member
- College Disciplinary Committee, Member
- Member Various Liberal Studies Search Committees
- Faculty Representative on the President’s Council
- NAIA & NCAA II Faculty Athletics Representative
- Faculty Sponsor of Phi Alpha Delta
- Host of Various Classroom Speakers for the Forum on Government & Public Policy Including:
David Broder, Mark Shields, Joe Klein, Jim Toedtman, Richard Williamson, Robert Novak, Richard Benedetto, Charles Lewis, Joan Biskupic, Tom Fielder, Susanna McBee, George Condon, Miles Benson, Elaine Povich, Scott Harshbarger, Larry O’Rourke, Bill Lambrecht, Gary Martin, Bill Rasberry Donald Lambro, Sasha Johnson, David Cook, Jonathan Salant, Muriel Dobbin.
Courses Taught at Flagler College, from 1994 to Date:
- Politics in the United States
- Criminal Law
- Introduction to U.S. Law
- Criminal Procedure
- American Law and Justice
- Legal Research & Writing
- History & Politics of the Supreme Court
- International Law & Politics
- Legal Method and Process
- Law in American Culture & Politics
- Advanced Legal Method and Process
- Business Law I
- Constitutional Criminal Procedure
- Philosophy of Law
- Justice & The Judicial Process
- Senior Seminar in Law
- Leadership in Law & Politics
- Advanced Business Law
- Fundamentals of Legal Writing
- Independent Studies in Law
- Contemporary Legal & Political Issues
- Ethical Issues in Law & Politics
- Legal Writing and Reasoning
- Ethical Issues in the Courts
- Lawyers and Film
- Jurisprudence and Politics
- Somerset County (Maine) Judge of Probate, 1977-94.
- Chief Judge, Maine Probate Judges Assembly, 1984-85.
- Complaint Justice for Maine, 1977-94.
- Attorney at Law, private practice, (1-4 Person Firm) 1974-94.
- Admitted to practice, Judicial Courts of Maine, 1974-present.
- Admitted to practice, U.S. District Court, Maine, 1975-present.
- Admitted to practice, U.S. Supreme Court, 1984-present.
- Assistant District Attorney, Maine, 1975.
- Counsel to Maine Legislative Legal Affairs Committee, 1975-76.
- Maine Probate Court Advisor to Commission on Family Matters in Court, 1985.
- Maine Judicial Council Member, 1989-93.
- Family Mediation Certification Training, University of South Florida, 1999.
- Opening Session Attendee of the Chief Justice Robert’s Court, October, 3, 2005.