Clubs & Organizations
The Crisp-Ellert Art Museum, located on campus at 48 Sevilla Street.
Flagler College art and design students can earn internship credit in advertising agencies, design studios, museums, galleries or on special assignments.
Students who choose to intern should have a B average or higher and Art faculty recommendation.
The Department of Art and Design presently offers three possibilities for students to study abroad or away. Every spring faculty lead trips to New York to attend gallery openings and make studio visits with contemporary artists and designers. Summer study abroad trips include an advanced drawing class in Italy. Students visit Rome, Florence, Pompeii and Assisi using drawing as a means of discovery and research. New study abroad programs include an exciting art history/art studio class to Paris.
Art History Major and Minor Experiential Opportunities
The Art & Design Department at Flagler College has offers numerous trips that will be of great benefit to Art History Majors and Minors.
- New York Study Away (Spring)
- American Visual Culture in Washington D.C. (Summer)
- Art History in Paris (Summer)
Bureau of Labor Statistics facts on Curators
Jobsite’s “So You Want to Work in a Museum”
Internships are an excellent way to enter the arts. The sacrifice of a few months of unpaid on-the-job experience can lead to a lifetime career. Combined with a great transcript from Flagler, an internship is a ticket for great success. The listings here are primarily for museums; keep in mind that most arts organizations, commercial art galleries, and other art venues and/or studios, likely have internship programs.
Graduate School in Art History can lead to significant positions in the arts. But, it takes a lot of dedication and hard work, and most be built upon a strong undergraduate career, including a high GPA, a breadth of coursework, excellent writing samples, letters of recommendation, and having a plan.
- Know what you want to study (a particular period) and what within that period interests you (people, movements, issues, etc.)
- Talk to Flagler Faculty about your interests
- Decide if a Master’s or Doctorate is right for you
- Search for programs
- Remember, with graduate school its not where you want to study, but who you want to study with; find schools with professors working on the period you want to study
- Be realistic: have a dream school, but also schools that are a good fit for you
Art & Design Video
Helpful Art & Design Resources
Visit CEAM, our campus art museum, featuring renowned artists and scholars from around the world.