Flagler College Commencement
Date: Saturday, December 10, 2016
Time: Ceremony will begin at 9:00 a.m.
Location: Flagler College Gymnasium
Commencement Rehearsal in the Gymnasium: Friday, December 9, 2016, 4:00 p.m.
All prospective graduates are required to attend rehearsal, which is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. in the Flagler College Gymnasium. The rehearsal will last approximately one hour.
Commencement Ceremony in the Gymnasium: Saturday, December 10, 2016
Graduates report to the Rotunda in Ponce de Leon Hall, dressed in their caps and gowns,
by 8:15 a.m.
All graduates and guests are invited to a cake and punch reception in the beautiful Flagler College dining hall directly following the ceremony. This is sponsored by the Flagler College Alumni Services. Please come by and meet and greet, no tickets required.
1. ATTENDANCE AT COMMENCEMENT: All graduates are required to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, unless officially excused by Dr. Yvan Kelly, Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs. Those excused from the ceremony still have to be cleared through Administration to graduate and receive diploma.
2. CAP & GOWN: Cap and Gown is required for participation in the commencement ceremony. Graduates order Cap & Gown at Jostens.com online, they will be delivered to Flagler College and graduates pick them up during Clearance Week (see below) along with guest tickets. The cost of the cap and gown is included in your graduation fee (invoiced by Student Accounts).
3. ADMISSION TICKETS: Each graduate will receive 8 admission tickets for family, relatives, and friends. If graduates feel they need more tickets, they can ask friends via facebook or a notice in the mailroom. The Office of the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs does not give out more than 8 tickets to each graduate. Graduates do not need a ticket. There is no fee for tickets. No guest will be admitted without a ticket. You may pick up your tickets and cap/gown from the Office of the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs in the Ringhaver Student Center during “Clearance Week” on the following dates and
Monday, November 28 10a.m. – 2p.m. Jay’s Place (Ringhaver)
Tuesday, November 29 10a.m. – 2p.m. Jay’s Place (Ringhaver)
Wednesday, November 30 1p.m. - 5p.m. Jay’s Place (Ringhaver)
Thursday, December 1 1p.m. – 5p.m. Jay’s Place (Ringhaver)
Friday, December 2 10a.m. – 2p.m. Jay’s Place (Ringhaver)
4. INTERNS who are out of town during Clearance Week can make special arrangements to pick up their tickets and cap and gown by contacting Mrs. Washburn at 904-819-6392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
5. EXIT SURVEY: The Office of Alumni Services will email graduates an “Exit Survey” form to complete close to graduation. This form must be completed and returned to Alumni Services before graduates can pick up cap, gown and tickets. It can be completed on-line or handed in during Clearance Week.
6. HONOR GRADUATES: Students graduating with honors will wear an Honor Cord. If you are graduating with honors, your Honor Cord will be presented to you at commencement rehearsal. According to the level of academic achievement, the degree may be awarded summa cum laud (3.9 – 4.0), magna cum laude (3.7 – 3.89), or cum laude (3.5 – 3.69). To qualify for graduation with honors, a student must complete at least 56 credit hours of academic work at Flagler College that carry letter grades of A, B, C, or D. Pass/fail options are not applicable. All courses for which no quality points are assigned are included in this pass/fail category, (for example: internships, field experiences, and practicum). Only courses taken at Flagler College are computed in determining honors. The grade point average will be rounded to the hundredth decimal place.
7 . COMMENCEMENT DRESS: Men are to wear a dress shirt (preferable white) and tie, dark slacks, and dress shoes. Women are to wear a dress or dark dress slacks/skirt and blouse, and dress shoes. No sneakers or flip-flops. Students not adhering to this dress code, will not be allowed to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. If a student has any questions, please contact Dean Kelly at 819-6392.
8. GUEST SEATING: There are no reserved seats in the Gymnasium except for graduates, faculty, administration, official College guests and guests with mobility or hearing accommodations. The Gymnasium will be opened at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, and seating is on a first-come basis.
9. ACCESSIBLE SEATING: If a student has guests in need of special accommodations, he/she must advise the Office of the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs when obtaining tickets. An interpreter will be available for hearing impaired persons, and special seating is provided for those requiring interpreter services. Special seating arrangements are also available for those who require the use of wheelchairs or who cannot otherwise navigate the bleachers. Persons requiring special services or special seating arrangements will be allowed to enter the Gymnasium between 7:30a.m. and 8:00a.m. at the side door ramp. Please indicate the need for these when picking up your tickets. 10. GUEST PARKING: Commencement guests are welcome to park at the Visitor Information Center Parking Garage at 167 San Marco Ave. Parking is not free, but Flagler College does provide a free Old Town Trolley shuttle to and from the ceremony. Following the ceremony, the shuttle pick up in front of the Student Center to return to the parking garage.
11. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Graduation announcements can be ordered anywhere, but the following companies use the Flagler College drawing and/or logo:
Jostens – www.jostens.com
12. PHOTOGRAPHS: GradTrak Images will be taking photos of the graduates as they accept their diploma. Proofs will be sent to the graduates via their “flagler.edu” email address. Graduates are not obligated to purchase anything. www.gradimages.com and 1-800-261-2576
If you have questions regarding:
Commencement Ceremony: Dean Yvan Kelly or Ms. Donna Washburn, Academic Affairs – 904-819-6392 or email@example.com
Graduation Fee: Ms. Peggy Gaset, Student Accounts – 904-819-6384 or PGaset@flagler.edu
Diploma and/or transcript: Ms. Emily Provenza, Registrar’s office – 904-819-6204 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Exit Survey: Ms. Margo Thomas, Alumni Services – 904-819-6474 or MThomas@flagler.edu
Driving Directions to the Flagler Gym (12 Granada Street)
Traveling north on Interstate 95: Take Exit 311 east (State Road 207) toward St. Augustine until it intersects with U.S. 1. Turn left on U.S. 1 (heading north) and then right on King Street. Follow King Street for ½ mile and take a right on to Grenada (just before the Lightener Museum). Flagler Gym is on the right, across from the museum.
Traveling south on Interstate 95: Take Exit 318 east (State Road 16) toward St. Augustine until it intersects with U.S. 1. Turn right on U.S. 1 (heading south) and then left on King Street. Follow King Street for ½ mile and take a right on to Grenada (just before the Lightener Museum). Flagler Gym is on the right, across from the museum.