Leslee Keys: Faculty and Staff
Research, Professional and Creative Activity:
- 2009-2013 Flagler College Staff Development Fund grant awards
- 2011 Gainter Fund scholarship for Preservation Institute: Nantucket, University of Florida
- 2013 Joy McCann Foundation Community Enrichment Grant co-recipient for Public Archaeology in St. Augustine
- 2013 Co-author with Dr. Tom Graham Flagler College’s commemorative book, Hotel Ponce de Leon: The Architecture and Decoration
- 2014 Historic Preservation Education Award for Hotel Ponce de Leon book - Florida Trust for Historic Preservation
- 2015 St. Augustine Foundation, Publication Grant
- 2015 Historic St. Augustine Research Institute and St. Augustine Foundation Research Grant: Kenan Women in St. Augustine
- 2015 Roy Eugene Graham Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation Education, inaugural award - Florida Trust for Historic Preservation
- 2015 Hotel Ponce de Leon: The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of Flagler’s Gilded Age Palace, University Press of Florida
- 2015 St. Augustine America’s First City: A Story of Unbroken History & Enduring Spirit, associate editor
- 2016 Dean's Award for Excellence in Service and Professional Development
- 2016 William L. Proctor Best Book on St. Augustine for 2015, inaugural award - Historic St. Augustine Research Institute
- 2016 Distinguished Alumni in Historic Preservation, inaugural award - University of Florida College of Design, Construction and Planning
- 2017 Hotel Ponce de Leon, Outstanding Achievement Award – Florida Trust for Historic Preservation
- 2017 Historic Preservation Community Education Award for Hotel Ponce de Leon preservation book – Florida Trust for Historic Preservation
Dr. Keys graduated with honors from Ball State University, majoring in history, pre-law and political science. She completed a master’s program in history and a master’s program in urban and regional planning, both from Virginia Tech. In 2013 she received a doctoral degree in historic preservation from the University of Florida. She served as adjunct faculty at Flagler College from for ten years, until 2012 when she became a full-time faculty member. Prior to that at Florida State College at Jacksonville, the University of Louisville, and Barry University.
Dr. Keys oversees historic preservation activities on the Flagler College campus and is responsible for the College’s fine and decorative arts collection. She assists the Office of Institutional Advancement with grant writing, implementation, and administration.
She served on the Hotel Ponce de Leon 125th Anniversary committee, is currently the Faculty Senate representative to the Flagler College 50th Anniversary Steering Committee, is a Past President of the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation and the St. Johns County Chamber of Commerce's Historic St. Augustine Area Council.
She served the College as representative to the State of Florida for the Viva Florida 500 events in 2013, and the St. Augustine 450th Commemoration in 2015. She managed the College’s participation in the visit by Their Majesties King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia of Spain, including planning the Royal Luncheon hosted by Flagler College President Abare.
Beginning in 2017, she serves as a Trustee for the United States Committee on the International Commission on Monuments and Sites.