James Rowell: Faculty and Staff
James L. Rowell PhD
Research, Professional and Creative Activity:
- Published Books: Gandhi and Bin Laden: Religion at the Extremes from University Press of America, Summer-Fall 2009.
- Articles: “Abdul Ghaffar Khan” in Journal of Political Theology (Vol. 10, No. 4, 2009) “Has Non-Violence Been Trumped?” appeared in Theology Today in July 2006, Vol. 63, No.2; and “Gandhi and Bin Laden: Polar Extremes” in The Journal of Conflict Studies, Vol. 26, No. 1, Summer 2006.
- Presented paper on Abdul Ghaffar Khan November 2006 at AAR; previously paper 2003 AAR.
- Member of AAR 1999-2010, 2013; public speaking, including the Glenmore Retirement Home.
Awards: Academic Award for Excellence, Flagler College 2009-2010.
- Interested in Religion, Politics, Morality / Global & Comparative Religions; violence & non-violence.
- Associate Professor of Humanities, teaching at Flagler College since 2006.
- Lafayette College, 2004-5; Curry College 2003-4.
- University of Pittsburgh 1996-2002, Ph.D. in Religious Studies
- University of New Hampshire 1993-1994, Masters in Political Science
- University of Massachusetts 1992-1993, Bachelors in Political Science.1988-1992, Bachelors in Anthropology
Teaching and Related Service:
Classes frequently offered:
- World Religions
- Hinduism and India
- Islam and Politics
- Star Wars Tolkien & Religion
- God Ape & Man
- Smith Marx & God
- Gandhi & Bin Laden
- Also have taught Christian Ethics, Religion & Politics, Women & Religion.
Previously taught at:
- Lafayette College
- Curry College