Chris Balaschak: Faculty and Staff
Research, Professional and Creative Activity:
- Published in peer-reviewed journals including Art Journal and Photographies.
- Contributor to books and catalogs including Reconsidering the New Industrial Parks (2010, Sternberg Press); Hammer Projects: 1999-2009 (2009, Hammer Museum); Words without Pictures (2009, LACMA); Isabelle Hayuer (2008, National Research Center for Contemporary Digital Art); The Frieze Yearbook (2008, Frieze)
Member of College Art Association
Professor Balaschak received his doctoral degree in 2010 from the Ph.D. program in Visual Studies, University of California, Irvine. He earned his M.F.A. in Criticism and Theory from the Art Center College of Design and his B.A. from the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at New York University. Dr. Balaschak specializes in the history of photography, with a focus on documentary photography and film, landscape studies, and the institutional history of art.
Teaching and Related Service:
- Art History II
- Art History III
- Visual Culture
- History of Photography
- European Modernism I (1840-1907) & II (1907-1940)
- Art History IV: Special Topics
Previously taught at:
- California State University, Long Beach
- University of California, Irvine