Cheryl McCarthy: Faculty and Staff
Research, Professional and Creative Activity:
- Member, National Council for Exceptional Children
- Member, Learning Disabilities Association of America
- Student Assistance Certification, Center for Addictive Disease
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Certificate
- Pennsylvania Commonwealth Permanent Teacher Certification
- Florida Professional Educator’s Certificate-Exceptional Student Education
- Widely published in peer-reviewed academic journals including Creative Education, Remedial and Special Education, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, and Journal of Reading, Writing, and Literacy.
- Project Leader-Democracy’s Laboratory/Florida Department of Education- trained more than 500 educators to teach Next Generation Social Studies Standards to diverse learners.
Professor McCarthy has taught at the college since 2008 and specializes in Special Education. Dr. McCarthy instructs students in courses such as: Introduction to Special Education, Assessment in Special Education, Secondary Methods in Exceptional Education, Introduction to Teaching and Learning, and Classroom Management. Professor McCarthy earned her Ph.D. from the State University of New York at Buffalo in Special Education. She earned her M.S. from Purdue University in Learning and Behavioral Disorders and her B.A. in Psychology from Purdue University. Professor McCarthy presents at state, national, and international conferences and has several ongoing research papers focusing on teaching creativity and the experiences of first year exceptional student education teachers.
Teaching and Related Service:
Previously taught at:
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Tredyffrin/Easttown School District
Owen J. Roberts School District
The Community School of the Delaware County Intermediate Unit
United Cerebral Palsy